Travel by Lesley

How does Brexit effect my travel plans now?


How does Brexit affect my travel as a UK passport holder from now on?  The UK will enter a transition period after Brexit on 31 January 2020 until 31 December 2020, meaning that you can continue to travel as you do now until the end of the year. Despite everything remaining the same this year, it’s worth thinking about the points below to ensure you enjoy seamless travel experiences.


Check the date your passport expires. To help you the UK Government has published a website tool to check the validity of your passport for travel to Europe.

Whilst nothing really will change this year, on or after 01 January 2021 the UK Government recommends that you have six months left on your passport on the date of your arrival to an EU country. Please click here for more details.

If you need to renew your passport you may wish to do it sooner rather than later to make sure you have it in time for your holiday or travel plans.

Health care in Europe and travel insurance:

Don’t just rely on your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for health care in Europe.  EHIC allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. However, we always advise customers to hold appropriate travel insurance, whether they have an EHIC or not, and adequate insurance is a condition of your booking and we do ask for details of your provider.

We always recommend that you have travel insurance where ever you are travelling to, if you have annual insurance with your bank please check the policies to ensure they offer good medical insurance and that they cover your current circumstances including any medical conditions.

Driving abroad:

If you have a full UK driving licence you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU this year.

UK travellers driving in the EU on or after 01 January 2021, however, may need to apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP). You can keep up to date with the latest government advice on driving abroad here.

Please check carefully which permit is required for each country you intend to drive within, as you may need more than one permit to comply with the law.

Also, because travellers will no longer benefit from the EU’s automatic third-party motor insurance cover, you will need a Green Card when travelling on or after 01 January 2021, which insurance firms currently issue free of charge.


Consider giving yourself extra travelling time in the event of an unforeseen disruption such as extra queues at passport control. Further useful Government information is available here.

The European Commission has confirmed that flights to and from the UK will continue to operate as normal.

For further information, check the latest FCO Travel Advice, and always ask your Travel Agent for all the help and support you need. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *